- Volunteer to pick the restaurant – or bring a dish to the event – manipulate the environment to adhere to your plan.
- Early in the day find out what is to be on the menu Select exactly what you’re going to have before exposing yourself to the delicious spread at the event.
- Eat something on your regular diet program right before walking out the door. For convenience, a protein shake works great. Consuming a protein and fiber supplement will help curb appetite to avoid bad decisions.
- Just say NO to the BREAD. When munching on these table starters, it’s too easy to overconsume unconsciously. Stuffing your face with these starters is a surefire way to overconsume despite selecting a healthy main course.
- Appetizer OR Entrée, not both. These days in the United States, most appetizers contain far more calories than is thought to comprise a standard meal. If you have effectively executed number three an appetizer will certainly suffice. Simply ask the waitress to bring it out with the main entrees.
- Keep it LEAN & GREEN. Order high protein option – along with something green. This will ensure you are emphasizing protein and fibrous vegetables on your plate, both of which will help with satiation.
- No need to measure, just use your hands. Fortunately, we can use anatomical features as guides for each macronutrient. Stay within these and you are golden:
Protein: size of your palm
Carbs: an amount that could fit in your palm – though feel free to eat as many green vegetables as you like.
Fat: amount of fat heavy foods should be able to fit in ½ of your cupped palm. This typically equates to two tablespoons.
Note: by adhering to these parameters you will likely have to leave a portion of your food uneaten. I know how challenging this can be. Hence why I encourage you to treat appetizers as entrees, or simply take leftovers home with you to eat later according to the same guidelines.
- Forget the OIL. request your food be prepared with no oil or butter. Believe it or not these hidden calories can add up to a lot. Never assume a restaurant does not use these flavor enhancers to either cook or marinade their food.
- When drinking alcohol, follow these rules:
Drink 3 glasses of water first: good opportunity to stay hydrated and leverage one of our pillars described earlier to fill up.
Stick to clear liquids: vodka, gin, white wine, etc.
Keep it basic: alcohol already contains 7 calories per gram so don’t add to it by drinking empty calories from cocktail mixers.
Useful alternative mixers: water, soda water, sparkling water, zero calorie juices, etc.
It is always more impressive to be the one eating healthy amidst a table of gluttonous indulgences than blindly conforming with the pack.
Don’t surrender to bad influences, embody the positive change you would like to see in others.